The Children of Armenia Fund (COAF) is a nonprofit, non-governmental organization that employs community-led approaches aimed at improving the quality of life in rural Armenia, with a particular focus on children and youth. The organization was founded by Dr. Garo H. Armen in 2004.
Starting with one village, today COAF innovative programs and infrastructure projects have changed the lives of over 107,000 people across 64 villages in 6 provinces of Armenia, with an overall investment of $50 million.
COAF works in the strategic areas that ensure the development of rural Armenia in a holistic approach:
- School Education Programs work closely with village schools to create an environment where students have opportunities to utilize their creativeness, critical thinking, talents and potential during and after studying at school.
- Health Programs enhance the quality of primary health services in villages through programs that promote the well-being of the entire community․
- Child & Family Services follow a holistic approach to child and family issues through multi-disciplinary services by social workers, psychologists, speech and other therapists․
- Economic Development Programs focus on business and infrastructure development of the villages, working closely with local government and the villagers.
- SMART initiatives are designed to advance a generation across the rural world through education, that will benefit individuals, the society and environment.
The COAF SMART Campus in the Lori region includes:
- Concept Hotel
- Visitor Center
- Conference Center (ongoing construction)
- Sport Complex (design phase)
- COAF SMART Programs provide development tools for community and individual growth, an innovative way of improving the quality of life in the rural communities, through the SMART Center and the SMART Rooms
❖ COAF SMART Center curriculum emphasizes novel teaching techniques, leveraging both project-based and action-based learning. The COAF SMART model is designed to be replicated throughout Armenia.
❖ COAF SMART Rooms bring technology and innovation to the most remote communities.
COAF is funded through monetary and in-kind donations made by donors and benefactors at COAF’s annual fundraising gala evenings and other events organized in New York City and Yerevan. COAF is additionally funded through grants and co-financing opportunities by COAF’s partner organizations.