Armenia Tree Project Charitable Foundation (ATP) was founded in 1994 to advance Armenia’s development through community-based tree planting and environmental education, guided by a vision of a secure and independent Armenia. A non-profit program with offices in Yerevan and Watertown, Massachusetts, ATP conducts vitally important environmental projects in Armenia’s impoverished and deforested zones.
Since its inception, ATP has planted or restored more than 4 million trees throughout Armenia and Artsakh. ATP provides meaningful employment to its full-time nursery staff and to hundreds of seasonal employees involved in tree planting and maintenance. We propagate trees at our three nurseries (in Karin, Khachpar, and Margahovit) with more than 600,000 seedlings under cultivation, plant them in communities and forests, conduct environmental education at our education centers in Karin and Margahovit, train Armenia’s teachers, and lead advocacy and community development efforts.
Our goal is to assist the Armenian people in using trees to improve their standard of living and protect the global environment. In so doing, we are guided by the need to promote self-sufficiency, aid those with the fewest resources first, and conserve the indigenous ecosystem. Trees, sustainably managed, deliver a steady bounty of tangible benefits like fruit, shade, and medicine. They protect against erosion, clean the air, safeguard water supplies, and support a wondrous array of animal and plant life.
Armenia faces environmental and demographic threats, and our programs are designed to overcome these threats by:
- Providing meaningful employment to dozens of people each year
- Planting decorative and fruit trees which protect against erosion, clean the air, provide shade, and produce tons of fruit each year to benefit more than 350 communities
- Reforesting hundreds of acres of community land to restore Armenia’s historic forest cover
- Educating adults and schoolchildren about Armenia’s environment
- Developing a pilot project for community/sustainable forest management
- Advocating for sustainable development that accounts for vital environmental, social, and economic issues
For more information please visit the following link: https://www.armeniatree.org/en/